Maximize your philanthropic goals
- Make a difference in people’s lives and always be remembered for your contribution
- Benefit yourself, your family and University of North Carolina with your planned gift
- Help us fulfill our mission for many years and generations to come
one of the UNC institutions purchases your property for less than fair market value. You receive the cash and a charitable deduction for the difference between the market value and purchase price.
How a Bargain Sale Works
- You sell one of the UNC institutions your property for a price less than fair market value.
- You receive the cash from the sale and a charitable deduction for your gift to one of the UNC institutions (the difference between the market value and purchase price).
- While you may owe some tax on the amount you receive from one of the UNC institutions, the charitable deduction from your gift could offset your taxes this year.
Benefits of a Bargain Sale
If you are considering selling your property, a bargain sale will help you meet all of your goals.
- Avoid capital gains tax on your charitable gift.
- The deduction from your gift will give you valuable tax savings that may reduce your tax bill this year.
- With the cash received from the sale, you may then reinvest to create more income for your future.
- Best of all, your gift will help one of the UNC institutions further its work.