Maximize your philanthropic goals
- Make a difference in people’s lives and always be remembered for your contribution
- Benefit yourself, your family and University of North Carolina with your planned gift
- Help us fulfill our mission for many years and generations to come
Charitable Gift Annuity
E.D. Kennedy '45 knows the value of a good scholarship. A child of the Depression who applied for funds to attend Women's College, she was denied because she had a history of employment. A teacher intervened and asked a family member for the scholarship. To this day, Kennedy remains grateful for the gift. "Because I was on scholarship, it means a great deal to support today's students by helping give them the same opportunity I had," she said.
The Kennedys first chose the UNCG pooled income fund as a vehicle for her gift. "Because I was so grateful for my own college scholarships, my husband and I made what was for us a large gift to the UNCG pooled income fund, designated for the Class of '45 (50th anniversary) scholarship."
When they wanted to increase their gift to the pooled income fund, they were advised to consider a gift annuity, also benefiting the Class of '45 scholarship. "The charitable gift annuity has proven to be a very good investment," she said. "The financial benefits have been considerable, and it has allowed me to plan gifts for the university after I'm gone." Kennedy encourages others to help the university while making a good investment for themselves.
"I am grateful that eventually the proceeds (from these gifts) will go to help North Carolina women majoring in the humanities."
How It Works
In exchange for your gift, UNCG agrees by contract to pay you (the annuitant) a fixed amount each year. The amount of the annuity payment will depend on your age and the value of the assets donated. Upon your death, the agreement terminates and the remainder funds your gift.
- Receive fixed annual payments for life.
- Possibly receive tax-free income.
- Receive federal, and possibly state, income tax charitable deductions.
- Reduce or eliminate estate taxes.
- Contribute to UNCG's teaching, research and service in perpetuity.
- If you let UNCG know of your plans, we will be able to thank you now and recognize you as a member of our Unbroken Band Society.
- This information is not intended as tax, legal or financial advice. Gift results may vary. Consult your personal financial advisor for information specific to your situation.
Planned gifts are as uniquely individual as the people who make them. To find out if a gift annuity or another planned gift opportunity with UNCG (or any of the UNC system institutions) is right for you, please contact:
David Landers, J.D.
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Director of Gift Planning
University of North Carolina