Maximize your philanthropic goals
- Make a difference in people’s lives and always be remembered for your contribution
- Benefit yourself, your family and University of North Carolina with your planned gift
- Help us fulfill our mission for many years and generations to come
Gifts of Real Estate
A gift of your appreciated real property (such as your home, vacation property, vacant land, farmland, ranch or commercial property) can make a great gift to one of the UNC institutions.
Here are some of the benefits you may enjoy:
- Avoid paying capital gains tax.
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction.
- Leave a lasting legacy.
How you make a gift of real property
Your real property may be gifted to one of the UNC institutions by executing or signing a deed transferring ownership. You may deed part or all of your real property to one of the UNC institutions. Your gift will generally be based on the property's fair market value, which must be established by an independent appraisal.
Can you make a gift of mortgaged property?
Please contact us if the property you wish to give has existing debt or a mortgage. Check with us on the capital gains tax implications of your gift. You also may be interested in life income options.